Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

satdoctor Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Hauppauge HD or technisat SS HD 2? Which dvb card better?

Hi gr8 members of RDI forum . I wanna buy an HD DVB PCI CARD for myself. PLz anyone here tell me which one is better in performance . Hauppauge wintv NOVA HD or Technisat Skystar HD 2 better ?
    AIM

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

As a satisfied user of, first Skystar 2 for 6 years, & now of Skystar HD2 for the last 1-1/2 year, I would recommend Skystar HD2.
    DVBViewer 4.9.0.0; DVBDream; SmartDVB
    Technotrend S2-1600
    WinXP-SP3
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz.
    ATI Radeon HD-4830 (ATI Catalyst 9.5)
    Memory: 2048MB DDR2
    MB:Intel DG43NB (Chipset G43)

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by fundom View Post
    As a satisfied user of, first Skystar 2 for 6 years, & now of Skystar HD2 for the last 1-1/2 year, I would recommend Skystar HD2.
    Is the card able to do Diseqc 1.0 ( 4 ports) with DVBdream or progdvb. What program do you used? Is it the PCI or USB that u have?
    TBS 5922 USB,Skystar 2, STRONG SRT4910, Openbox S9. 2.4M Prime Focus PAS10 - CBand(68.5 DEGE)+Thaicom(78.5 DEGE)+IS902 (62 DegE), 120cm dish Ew3A( 7DEGE) side LNB Ew2A( 10 DEGE)+w2(16 DEGE) ,3.0M Mesh Motorised dish on arc (AM44 (11 DEGW) to AM33 (96.5 DEGE), 150 cm dish PAS 10 KU, 80cm dish Ew4/w7(36 DEGE)

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

I have PCI card. I use DVBViewer & DVBDream. Neither of these two programs are perfect. I use them from situation to situation & problem to problem. I don't like ProgDVB despite its large list of features. I always found it buggy, especially when it comes to choice of codecs & video rendering mode. Crashes are also not uncommon.

This PCI Card is capable of handling not only diseqc v.1.0 but also diseqc v.1.1, that is, it can handle 16-port diseqc switch...provided the application you use supports that. With DVBViewer, ProgDVB & DVBDream I am already receiving signal from 8-LNBs off two dishes.
    DVBViewer 4.9.0.0; DVBDream; SmartDVB
    Technotrend S2-1600
    WinXP-SP3
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz.
    ATI Radeon HD-4830 (ATI Catalyst 9.5)
    Memory: 2048MB DDR2
    MB:Intel DG43NB (Chipset G43)

Moderator Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by aim_satdudez View Post
    Hi gr8 members of RDI forum . I wanna buy an HD DVB PCI CARD for myself. PLz anyone here tell me which one is better in performance . Hauppauge wintv NOVA HD or Technisat Skystar HD 2 better ?
    between these two I would choose TECHNOTREND - TT HD 3650 CI USB

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Cool Prog DVB and DVB Dream

ProgDVB works without any problem. It's a nice software, and I am considering to pay for Pro vaersion. DVB Dream is buggy. Like youy have, I was changing to softwares because of various problems. Now I am fully satisfied with ProgDVB. The only downside is it's not free (For MPEG-4 and DVBS-2, you need the pro version).

I have SS2. It works without any problem for about 2 years. Now It have various problems. It have signal problem for various TPs. Also I never suceeded to use Diseqc with SS2. Now I am trying to buy some another brand of tuner like http://www.prof-tuners.com/eng/ but the same is not available in India.

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by anishpsla View Post
    ProgDVB works without any problem. It's a nice software, and I am considering to pay for Pro vaersion. DVB Dream is buggy. Like youy have, I was changing to softwares because of various problems. Now I am fully satisfied with ProgDVB. The only downside is it's not free (For MPEG-4 and DVBS-2, you need the pro version).

I have SS2. It works without any problem for about 2 years. Now It have various problems. It have signal problem for various TPs. Also I never suceeded to use Diseqc with SS2. Now I am trying to buy some another brand of tuner like http://www.prof-tuners.com/eng/ but the same is not available in India.
    Thanks for input. I use both Progdvb and dvbdream. They both work fine. It also depends on your pc hardware. I once had issues with progdvb but it came good after updating chipset driver for my mobo.Intel chipset is more compatible. Please consider this when building a PC.
    Now on a different pc ss2 still works great. I've used ss2 for more than 3 years with no problems.
    I'm using Diseqc 1.0 ( 4X1) with no issue. Going for the pro version is good. I have a legit DVB dream copy and have not come to bugs that prevent me using it or annoys me. It's only a personal taste issue when it comes to such software.
    Before buying a card go to forums dealing with the soft you intend to use and read about compatibility and issues. You may find many people talking about problems but do not come to the conclusion that the card is bad. On forums you'll find mostly the unhappy describing their issues. To me there are more happy users than unhappy. These they do not share on the forum.
    Last edited by patmos; 8th December 2010 at 15:07.
    TBS 5922 USB,Skystar 2, STRONG SRT4910, Openbox S9. 2.4M Prime Focus PAS10 - CBand(68.5 DEGE)+Thaicom(78.5 DEGE)+IS902 (62 DegE), 120cm dish Ew3A( 7DEGE) side LNB Ew2A( 10 DEGE)+w2(16 DEGE) ,3.0M Mesh Motorised dish on arc (AM44 (11 DEGW) to AM33 (96.5 DEGE), 150 cm dish PAS 10 KU, 80cm dish Ew4/w7(36 DEGE)

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Cool DVB card

Technically, ProgDVB is good because it's designed in Managed code (ASP.NET) so most of the system functions will maintain by the framework. But for others, the author need to write code for all those functions. I have some idea about the framework and can write small programs. That's why I post the info here.

Thread Information