Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior Member Friend
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default All about fringe satellite reception in africa

Hi Everyone,this thread is to afford everyone on the African continent accurate information about fringe satellites that can be received in every country and the lowest/least possible dish size and equipment that was used for the tracking.This is to allow everyone know exactly what can be obtain from his/her dish in their various countries.

Junior Member Friend
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default The Fringe Satellite list.

To start this thread off lets try to list the fringe satellites available.After which we all try to analyze their requirements in terms of the minimum dish equipment needed to receive each and everyone of those satellites.This has come about as a result of the over or under estimation of the dish sizes required for their reception on the various satellite websites.People who have theirs up and running will be a better and more accurate starting point.

Junior Member Friend
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Names

Personally i know of,
    1. Badr 6
    2. Nilesat 101 & 102

After the list is compiled,we will pick one satellite at a time and gather all the information we can possible get from all the African countries before we move to the satellite just to keep the forum neat and tight and to allow the easy access of information.This is how the posting format is to take.I know things don't always go as planned but this is just to be a guideline and to help kept the messy postings to a minimum.

Junior Member Friend
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Important

Note to all.This thread is in no way a substitute for the thread: AFRICA - Sat viewers - whats viewable? +C/SHARE
    All enquiries,postings,questions about receivers,and satellites with their footprints in our region ie.The African continent should be directed there.This thread is just a complementory thread to the above mentioned thread and in no way replaces that.

Junior Member Friend
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Posting Revision

Quote Originally Posted by swordswifter View Post
    Personally i know of,
    1. Badr 6
    2. Nilesat 101 & 102

After the list is compiled,we will pick one satellite at a time and gather all the information we can possible get from all the African countries before we move to the satellite just to keep the forum neat and tight and to allow the easy access of information.This is how the posting format is to take.I know things don't always go as planned but this is just to be a guideline and to help kept the messy postings to a minimum.
    Hi everyone,
    Due to some discrepancies in can fore-see in the near ...ure,i've come to this conclusion.For simplicity,postings are going to take this format.
    1. Fringe satellite: name
    2. Country: where it's being received
    3. City/Province: you are currently receiving it at
    4. Dish type & size: you used for your tracking
    5. Lnb make & type:that was used
    6. The receiver type:that was used

By the way,the 6th and final bullet is not so necessary so can be ignored.I hope this thread really grows to reach its true potential.

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by swordswifter View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Due to some discrepancies in can fore-see in the near ...ure,i've come to this conclusion.For simplicity,postings are going to take this format.
    1. Fringe satellite: name
    2. Country: where it's being received
    3. City/Province: you are currently receiving it at
    4. Dish type & size: you used for your tracking
    5. Lnb make & type:that was used
    6. The receiver type:that was used

By the way,the 6th and final bullet is not so necessary so can be ignored.I hope this thread really grows to reach its true potential.
    Thanks for this thread. Good initiative
    So If I understand it, Fringe satellite should mean any satellite whose published footprints normally do not cover the region where the dish is located. For example in my case PAS 7/10 KU do not cover Mauritius but I'm receiving it on a 1m20 Offset.
    TBS 5922 USB,Skystar 2, STRONG SRT4910, Openbox S9. 2.4M Prime Focus PAS10 - CBand(68.5 DEGE)+Thaicom(78.5 DEGE)+IS902 (62 DegE), 120cm dish Ew3A( 7DEGE) side LNB Ew2A( 10 DEGE)+w2(16 DEGE) ,3.0M Mesh Motorised dish on arc (AM44 (11 DEGW) to AM33 (96.5 DEGE), 150 cm dish PAS 10 KU, 80cm dish Ew4/w7(36 DEGE)

Junior Member Friend
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by patmos View Post
    Thanks for this thread. Good initiative
    So If I understand it, Fringe satellite should mean any satellite whose published footprints normally do not cover the region where the dish is located. For example in my case PAS 7/10 KU do not cover Mauritius but I'm receiving it on a 1m20 Offset.
    Exactly Patmos,that's the whole idea.If the footprint doesn't cover your area yet your are receiving the signal somhow,then that becomes fringe for you and we would all like to know about it and how you managed to achieve it right here on this thread.It would be kind of mapping our own footprints across the African Continent.

Junior Member Junior
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Dtt

Hi Sword, let me break the rules a little and talk about dtt. I received Dtt frequencies in a location where there is not covered. Dtt services in Kenya is at the Capital city only and my location is at the border of Tanzania at the **** of Kilimanjaro so I think its a fringe reception.
    Atrovox 8080 HD CI 1.8 mtr dish, Intel 906-C 64.2e, Pas 7/10-C+KU 68.5e, Thaicom 5-C 78.5e and Nss 12-KU 57e. 90cm dish ew3 7e. 90 cm dish W4/7 36e. Echolink EL-280 DVB-T

Junior Member Friend
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Re:DTT

Quote Originally Posted by Kiprop View Post
    Hi Sword, let me break the rules a little and talk about dtt. I received Dtt frequencies in a location where there is not covered. Dtt services in Kenya is at the Capital city only and my location is at the border of Tanzania at the **** of Kilimanjaro so I think its a fringe reception.
    Hi Kiprop,
    For terrestrial reception,what i do know is the higher you are in respects to the sea-level the stronger your reception.I don't really know your geographic position and orientation but if you are getting the dtt signals as fringe,provide your exact location and gear so that others close to you and reading this thread may also receive this signal.Hope you are enjoying your sunday afternoon.Stay blessed.

Junior Member Master
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Fringe satellite reception, Badr 6, Nilesat, and Eutelsat w3a europe b beam.

Good afternoon swordswifter,

For reception of fringe satellite, Mainly Badr 6, Nilesat family and Eutelsat w3a Europe B beam i use,

240 cm offset dish, 150 cm offset dish and also a 240 cm prime focus solid dish.

From my research the Offset dish is better than a Prime focus dish as a 150 cm offset dish outperforms a 2.4 meter solid prime focus dish on test done on Eutelsat w3a europe Beam.

For the Prime focus Dish i have both a Fuji and Invacom Quad lnb with c120 attachment. This 2 LNB,S are mainly meant for Prime focus dishes.

Best out of the 2 LNB'S is Invacom which outperforms the Fuji by a far margin.

For The offset Dish i have both the Inverto ultra black Quad LNB and also Inverto sliver tech Quad LNB.

Inverto Ultra black Quad LNB

Inverto sliver tech quad LNB.

For the cable i use 100% copper cable This reduces loss of signal strengh for Lnb to Satellite receiver.
    Last edited by kungu; 12th July 2010 at 15:00.

Junior Member Master
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Eutelsat w3a Europe B beam.

That first fringe satellite to access is Eutesat w3a Europe b beam which holds a host of Turkish channels plus the Digitruk pay Channels.

The Map below shows the footprint of Eutelsat W3a Europe b beam which has part of its beam in Kenya.

I am located near Nairobi of which is out side the footprint beam.

The EIRP (dBW) of the footprint in Kenya is 40 which translates to a Offset dish of between 150 cm - 190 cm.

Form my location i can lock on all of the transponders on the Europe B beam of which 10721 H 22000 is the Tp with the strongest signal strength even a 120 cm [ 1.2 meter ] offset dish.

I can lock on all the transponders on Europe B beam on both a 240 cm solid prime focus dish with Invacon Quad Lnb and also a 150 cm offset dish with Inverto black quad Lnb.
    The 1.5 meter offset dish with Inverto Black Ultra Quad Lnb gives best results overall.
    Below are some of the channels i access form the Bird.
    Last edited by kungu; 12th July 2010 at 15:11.

Junior Member Master
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Eutelsat W3a Europe B Beam Pics

The are about 25 music channels on Digitruck package which have the back ground as an aquarium with exotic fish.

For the lovers of Jazz and Instrumental music the is Moods radio on frequency 10928 V 27500
    Last edited by kungu; 12th July 2010 at 15:27.

Junior Member Friend
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Insightful post

Hi kungu,
    that's a very very good post you've made.I know many will be delighted.I'd ask you to kindly elaborate ie.if you have the time,the kind of satellites(satellites with available footprints in Africa) that are on the same vertical paths to these fringe satellites you have mentioned earlier on in your post so that others might find it easier tracking them.For instance for my info,if you track altantic bird 3 and peak the signal on the c band,moving westwardly you'll definately find the nilesat group of satellite.Lnb skewing will highly come in handy.

Junior Member Master
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default nilesat reception in Kenya

Is Nilesat reception possible in kenya?
    Form the below footprint of Nilesat satellites it seems not possible.

I have manged to track this bird with the aid of a 2.4 meter solid prime focus dish plus a Invacom LNB.

The best time to track Nilesat is early morning as most tps are at their peek.
    In Kenya i first track Atlantic bird 2 which has 2 tps covering my region as shpn in the image below.

Atlantic Bird 2 is located at 8.0W will Nilesat is at 7.0W.

Procedure------

Once you have installed your Invacom Quad Lnb on the2.4 meter prime focus dish, first track Atalntic bird 2 using either frequency 11555 V 27500 or 11595 V 27500 as your star point.
    Once you have locked on Atalntic bird 2 skew lnb to maximum signal strength and align your dish to maximum signal reception.
    Enter frequency 10719 V 27500 which happens to be the strongest transpoder from my end.
    Lift your dish skyward less than a cm up and you shall be able to lock on the said TP.
    From my findings one would need about 3 meter Prime focus Dish to achieve most of transponders with easy in Nairobi Kenya.

Junior Member Master
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Nilesat pic

The image below shows my location denoted by the Red Dot

Please note when shopping for an Lnb, go for a quad Lnb which is highly recommended.
    I purchased my Invacom Lnb form Dubai will my other Lnbs i bought them through Internet order at a shop call Satshop based in Germany.

Below Nilesat channels viewable in my area via a 2.4 prime focus dish and Invacom lnb.

MOTOR TV Frequency 10758 V 27500,
    KOREA tv frequency 10719 V 27500,

Euronews on Frequency 10911 V 27500,

Thread Information