Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Junior
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Unhappy Trouble Shooting problem of channels reception

Dear Experts,

Let me first brief about the setup I am having. I am in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. In my building roof top I have a Dish Antenna Pointing towards NileSat with single LNB having dual output ports to support two receivers at a time in two rooms.
    One year before I got this setup done by one technician. I bought DM500s from him and was using it in my common room while the technician dropped a spare cable in my bed room so that it can be used as plug n play when ever I plan to buy second receiver. This second cable (spare cable) was connected to the 2nd output port of LNB but was not in use till last week. Now last week I bought another DM500s (with KrazyCam 2.35 software loaded) for my bed room tested it well on the shop all channels were working very fine smoothly. I came to home connected the cable in my bed room into the receiver but very strange that I can only view FTA channels smoothly while all other paid channels are not appearing on screen ONLY I found 5/6 paid channels .

When I observed carefully and found that the channels I can view all are having SNR of 85% and above while BER is 0. For all channels which are not appearing when I see their information using button on remote of receiver I see there is some BER value also SNR is 65% or above.

While the other DM500s in other room, either it is in use and some family member is viewing it OR even it is not in use the situation remains same in my room. The other DM500s of common is working smoothly as before.

Now I want to narrow down my thought to trouble shoot this issue. What it could be, is it the port on LNB which is defective? OR is it because of the cable where the loss is ?

Please advice. I have given enough details so that the experts who attempt to reply have sufficient information but incase I missed something OR any thing is not well explained, please ask me.

Thanks & Regards,

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Switch the DM's

First of all, disconnect and move the "working" dm into the bedroom, see if it works correctly when connected to the spare cable.
    If it does work the same, then there is a problem with krazy cam or the second dm tuner.
    The transponder lists may not be the same. Compare the transponder lists from both dm's.
    You can also try the "bad DM" with the "good" cable.
    You should be able to figure out whether the dm is bad or the second cable.

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

First see this below answer, this is what I tried yesterday:

I did not swap the ports in LNB but changed the LNB. After that in the common room it is working as BEFORE normally, smoothly.

In my bedroom I tested last night for 2 hours continously it worked, then I switched off and later turned on after 2 hours and then I was watching like 2 hours again late night, every thing was normal.

Now today again when I turned ON at 1:15pm same problem started BER value is going in 3000 and as before channel is not coming in my bed room. The other common room is ok working still smoothly.

What do you think now it could be, now LNB is changed itself. Due to this I am now thinking that the old LNB which I still have was without any defect, so where is the problem itself ? Is it the cable ? but if cable then how for 5/6 hours it worked yesterday smoothly ?

Waiting for your replies.

Regards,

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

At present I again turned on my receiver and TV set, now it is working again smoothly in my room.....

any ideas now ? Do you still suggest interchanging DM Boxes ? OR now you have different thought ?

Please advise.

Regards,

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

The problem started again so now I swapped the DM Boxes, and now the one which was in my Bedroom is shifted to common room, there it is working just fine smoothly.

As soon I shifted the DM from common room to my bedroom plugged it in Turned on the TV Set, the same problem started again.

Now what ? is it Cable for Satellite OR there could be Power Supply problem?

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

i am assuming that you only have those two dreamboxes connected per output on the lnb. dreambox clones (even the original) is very choosy when it comes to signal reception, especially with dual-out lnbs. i had a friend who brought a dreambox and connected it to a dual-out lnb. the lnb will not switch properly unless he shifts it to FTA then back to that specific channel he was watching. then we changed it to a single lnb and everything went fine.

so i suggest you get a separate dish (nilesat requires a small dish only) and do it that way. other receivers are more tolerant of signal faults in the line.... not in the case of dreambox, especially clones.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

Yes, what you are assuming is correct one LNB with dual output ports to connect two receivers.

I am very much thankful to you for your help & suggestions in my case. Before I proceed for installation of another new Dish Antenna with LNB for the 2nd DM box as per your suggestion.

I have a question WHY the problem is only in my room? Why there is no disturbance at all in the common room.

If the commom room DM box is in use and somebody is watching any channel FTA or paid, my DM in my bed room is giving BER value problem but not always works for some time then starts problem then again works normal then after some time same problem

If the common room DM box is not in use at all and turned off, still in this case my DM box in my bed room gives same BER value higher due to which no paid channels are coming but FTA are always coming, paid channels as above for some time working but as soon as BER starts changing to higher values blocks start appearing on channels.

These results show that the problem is ONLY at my end, if it is the case of Single LNB with dual ports the other DM box should also give some disturbance at any time in a day, am I right ? Also on interchanging DM boxes just to verify if DM box in my room is faulty or not, I found it is working smoothly in common room and when I connected DM of common room in my bed room same problem started. My doubt is now Cable black wire from Dish to the receiver, what are your thoughts ?
    Last edited by wajeeh_r; 29th May 2010 at 12:12.

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by wajeeh_r View Post
    Yes, what you are assuming is correct one LNB with dual output ports to connect two receivers.

I am very much thankful to you for your help & suggestions in my case. Before I proceed for installation of another new Dish Antenna with LNB for the 2nd DM box as per your suggestion.

I have a question WHY the problem is only in my room? Why there is no disturbance at all in the common room.

If the commom room DM box is in use and somebody is watching any channel FTA or paid, my DM in my bed room is giving BER value problem but not always works for some time then starts problem then again works normal then after some time same problem
    If the common room DM box is not in use at all and turned off, still in this case my DM box in my bed room gives same BER value higher due to which no paid channels are coming but FTA are always coming, paid channels as above for some time working but as soon as BER starts changing to higher values blocks start appearing on channels.

These results show that the problem is ONLY at my end, if it is the case of Single LNB with dual ports the other DM box should also give some disturbance at any time in a day, am I right ? Also on interchanging DM boxes just to verify if DM box in my room is faulty or not, I found it is working smoothly in common room and when I connected DM of common room in my bed room same problem started. My doubt is now Cable black wire from Dish to the receiver, what are your thoughts ?
    Dear wajeeh_r,
    Some times the temperature may cause signal degradation in cables during day time, and also long run cables also cause signal drop.
    I think that instaling one seperate dish as per Mr.boknoy_ph's suggestion ((so i suggest you get a separate dish (nilesat requires a small dish only) and do it that way. other receivers are more tolerant of signal faults in the line.... not in the case of dreambox, especially clones.)) will solve your problem.

Silver Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by wajeeh_r View Post

Cable also causes these kinds of problems. One frequency will be very good but another frequency will have bad signal during some period of a day! If the DM's tuner is weak as Bohnoy said it will further amplify the problem due to bad cable. Either case changing the cable is cheaper option & should be the first thing to try. Mostly it will slove the problem.

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

The answers so simply..:"Day Light Saving" The LNB's are not configured for DLS, That's why it works in the mornings and not at night..
    regards from OZ bassett

Thread Information