Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Junior
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default KU Band LNB and C BAND---a comparison

Hi there

I have a simple question, any help much appreciated.

QUESTION: As compared to C-band Is it difficult to align the LNB for ku-Band?

I just bought a ku-band LNB which is smaller than the usual C-Band LND, carries very little information except that it says 0.3dB

I am in Hyderabad PAkistan, I have a solid 6ft dish aligned to PAS7/10.
    With C-Band LNB it is a breeze, I get a crisp signal but with the Brand new KU-Band LNB I only get a signal strength of about 80% and 0% singnal quality.....no matter what.

So the question is: Being a shorter wavelength it is relatively difficult to set up the KU band LNB givern that my dish is already pointing on the satellite.
    Thanks in advance
    Gulsher

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

try 12520V as most of the ku band beam directs to south africa and european reception. C-band is focused on India though.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Junior

Posts Thanks / Likes

boknoy_ph ;

Thanks for the reply

HOWEVER;

It is not PAS I am necessarily interested in, it is the KU BAND with Arabsat or Hotbird I am aiming at

AND since I bought the new LNB and it is gibing only 70% signal strength unlike the C-band LNB so I neded inpur from experienced people

So it is really difficult to set KU band LND, you see LNB for LNB substitution, Cband works great but KU band does nothing---------------------------same dish same satellite and same direction

Thanks again
    Gulsher

Junior Member Friend

Posts Thanks / Likes

have you set up your receiver for ku lnb setting should be set to universal 9.750low 1060 high if you have a blind scan receiver do ascan and see what happens make sure your receiver is aligned to a sat with strong ku signals in your part of the world

az30094

You cannot compare the signal levels from a C band LNB and a Ku Band LNB as these work in different bandwidths and with different base frequencies. As such, each is meant for a different frequency ranges.

As an example compare the signal levels of two related channels in Asiasat 3s - Indus News with Indus Vision or Indus Music. Both of them lies in C band but shows a big difference in signal levels.

A signal level of above 50% is enough to get a clear and distortionless picture as such, and there is no need to aim for 100%.

It is recommended to tune to a weakest channel and adjust the antenna to get the maximum possible signal level.

Good luck.

Byte Stalker Mentor
    Posts Thanks / Likes

according to dr. dish a signal strenght of 35% on ku band is the minimum to display picture!
    The more we learn things the more we hunger for more! That's human nature I guess!

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

@Gulsher,

some receivers will even display 90% signal strenght without any quality being received. pls make sure as mentioned earlier that you set your receiver for the ku-band signal, like polarity and SR ratio (most receivers have these already pre-programmed already on the transponder settings).

you confused me with your question when you stated that you already have pas on c-band and would have wanted to get the signal for ku transmission from pas thus i gave that frequency for your perusal.

so basing on the previous statements, i can guess that you don't have your dish positioned for Arabsat/Hotbird per se, but on PAS. ku band signal acquisition is a bit tricky, you have to move your dish very slightly, turn your lnb a bit at a time until you get the best possible signal. personally, i tune to 11747 for both hotbird and arabsat when tuning, then when i get the rough signal from that frequency, i shift to the specific frequency of the channel i wish to view.

@khan,

yeah, 35% is the minimum recquired to view the channels but there will be distortions caused by a lot of factors (dish warping on hot climates, strong wind loading) so aiming for higher than 35% is recommended.

signal strenght and quality is dependent on the tuner of your stb, it's advised to use a satellite meter for a bit accurate reading of the db received, or if you have the resources, a satlook will be the best to use.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Re: KU Band LNB and C BAND---a comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Gulsher Khan
    Hi there

I have a simple question, any help much appreciated.

QUESTION: As compared to C-band Is it difficult to align the LNB for ku-Band?

I just bought a ku-band LNB which is smaller than the usual C-Band LND, carries very little information except that it says 0.3dB

I am in Hyderabad PAkistan, I have a solid 6ft dish aligned to PAS7/10.
    With C-Band LNB it is a breeze, I get a crisp signal but with the Brand new KU-Band LNB I only get a signal strength of about 80% and 0% singnal quality.....no matter what.

So the question is: Being a shorter wavelength it is relatively difficult to set up the KU band LNB givern that my dish is already pointing on the satellite.
    Thanks in advance
    Gulsher
    KU is easier since it is very to move since it is smaller, your problem is that Hotbird is very weak in your area and you need a bigger dish.

Member Mentor

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default C n KU Bands

Go to website:www.lyngsat.com and view the difference between the KU n C Bands coverage maps.
    See it first, then write what u saw.
    It will help other members the real difference the two bands.
    Thanks for reading my mail.
    JPS-Australia

canine consultant Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

It's all about dish focal length,, What you will need to do is re-configure the LNB arms as they will not be long enough for the Ku LNB, With the C-band , the arms attach to the scalar ring and then the LNB slides through the middle. Changeing over to KU, the arms will be closer together shorting the focal length..

Put simple measure the focal length with the C-band LNB fitted then when you change over is the measurement the same..
    regards from OZ bassett

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

NOTE: This is just additional information...

C-band frequency chart (GHz)
    C-Band

Ku-band transponder frequency chart (GHz)
    Ku-Band
    M A B U H A Y !

Thread Information