Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Junior Member Teacher
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Best reciever>tv connection for picture quality?

Guys/Gals,
    I got a besat 2400 Super Gold (Metabox 3).
    It has standard 3 cable output RCA, and a SCART output on the back.
    Is the SCART connection higher picture quality than the RCA ?
    Is it worth changing my tv to a SCART enabled one, or should I just stick to the RCA connection and buy a higher quality cable ?

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Re: Best reciever>tv connection for picture quality?

Quote Originally Posted by kevo
    Guys/Gals,
    I got a besat 2400 Super Gold (Metabox 3).
    It has standard 3 cable output RCA, and a SCART output on the back.
    Is the SCART connection higher picture quality than the RCA ?
    Is it worth changing my tv to a SCART enabled one, or should I just stick to the RCA connection and buy a higher quality cable ?
    SCART (RGB outputs) has better quality, your TV must have SCART Connector also if you want to use SCART output. You also need a fully wired (all 21 pins intact) SCART cable for proper operation.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

the resolution won't be that much compared to regular RCA. but if you are a finicky viewer, then you may opt for a scart-scart connection from stb to tv set. take note however, that the quality of video is also dependent on the compression implemented by the satellite provider, like dreamtv for example, they have a horrible compression when viewing their channels that sometimes, you get clearer picture quality using an aerial antenna in the philippines for local channels.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Thanks Guys,
    I just bought a higher quality RCA cable (cos I cant afford to change my tv to a SCART enabled one) and the difference is really noticeable. Less color bleed, and an overall sharper, more colorful picture.
    Cant do much about Dr**m tvs horrible image quality- with the compression on certain channels being appaling. But at least Im getting the best out of what is being given
    Makes sense really. Why spend this money/effort on getting a nice STB/dish/lnb and tv, and then join them together with a P50 cable. Spend a bit more and you will see the difference.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

yeah right. but most of us are quite contented with what we see or hear, not really bothering about that much on quality. personally, i use Monster audio/video cables for my setup here. costs half a donkey but the performance is superb.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Master

Posts Thanks / Likes

Quote Originally Posted by boknoy_ph
    the resolution won't be that much compared to regular RCA. but if you are a finicky viewer, then you may opt for a scart-scart connection from stb to tv set. take note however, that the quality of video is also dependent on the compression implemented by the satellite provider, like dreamtv for example, they have a horrible compression when viewing their channels that sometimes, you get clearer picture quality using an aerial antenna in the philippines for local channels.
    Try using SCART cable and you will see the difference...

Inside STB, RGB signal is combined into composite (RCA video) and the TV has to extract back the RGB signal from Composite (RCA video). This process takes a lot of the video quality and adds more noise to the video. But anyway if you dont have a TV with a SCART connector you cant test the difference...

az30094

Another solution is "S-Video" connection. It is similar to SCART connection in functionality in that it carries all R, G, B and S signals on seperate cores. It is much smaller in size, a small round connector. Most of the modern satellite receivers has this connector. But about TVs having this connector, I am not sure.

I use this connector to connect to my PC TV input card. I experience a better quality than using a RCA connector.

Thread Information