Have you ever thought of importing a clip from Video CD (.dat) to premiere? Before 2010, even when Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 updated to version 4.2, we could only convert the VCD file to AVI, WMV or the like for premiere. However, at the beginning of 2010, here is the new solution without converting DAT for premiere.

Below are the steps to edit VCD file in Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 with the new solution.

Step 1. Download and install import plugin for Adobe Premiere.
Moyea Importer for Adobe Premiere is compatible with various premiere versions: Pro 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, CS3, CS4, Elements 3, 4, 7, 8.

Step 2. Browse DAT file in Premiere.
After the plugin is installed, run Premiere and you will notice that .dat file is recognized by Premiere. Then you can import .dat file to premiere.
I have copied the clips from VCD and saved to my disk E. Below is the screenshot from Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 for my folder with the .dat files.

Step 3. Preview video.
This step is optional. However, I think it is a great function thanks to the Media Browser in CS4. I can decide the video to add before loading to premiere project.
Double click the DAT file on Media Browser window, and then the monitor window will be highlighted. Click the play button in monitor window.

Step 4. Trim video.
If you want to cut the video before importing to timeline, just click the left button for the set-in point and right for the set-out point. Then drag from the monitor window to the timeline. Of course, the timeline window offers the flexible ways for video editing.

Hope this helps. Leave comment if you have other ideas.