Register

Welcome to the RDI-Board Community.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 EUR, Received: 100 EUR (100%)
Donate to support this site...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: METABOX PVR

Senior Member Expert
    RDI - Board Default Avatar

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default METABOX PVR

HELP ! WHERE CAN I BUY A METABOX PVR IN DUBAI OR SE ASIA ?

SPENT A WHOLE DAY IN DUBAI LAST WEEK WALKING UP AND DOWN DEIRA LOOKING, GOING INTO EVERY SHOP IN THE NAIF AREA BUT NOT A SINGLE BOX WAS AVALABLE..EVEN AT A HIGHER PRICE.

WHY IS THE METABOX PVR SO SPECIAL ?

MANY PVR'S EXIST BUT NONE 'DO' THE DREAM BOUQUET .
    MANY BOXES DO DREAM BUT NONE HAVE A BUILT IN PVR.
    METABOX PVR IS THE ONLY ONE THAT DOES WELL BOTH FUNCTIONS.

DREAM HAS NOW ADDED THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL SO IS A SUPER BOUQUET FOR THOSE WHO CAN ACCESS IT.
    CAN ANYONE HELP WHETHER DEALER OR RDI'ER ?

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

PVR = Personal Video Recorder. these are STBs with hard disks, like topfield, dreamboxes. i believe there is no metabox PVR (with hard disks).

anyhow, you can look for Besat products as they are one of the authorized distributors of Metaware for Middle East. Even here in Kuwait, metaboxes are hard to come by, especially metabox3.
    HP-Compaq DC5000 MT 1.5GB RAM
    Debian Squeeze with Smargos
    CCcam 2.1.4

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Yes, they were available at Edvard's shop at the Dubai sat market in July.I saw them myself.
    One Dubai dealer claimed his last box sold out 24 Setember and more were being held at the Duty Free Zone but couldn't wait until the next day to find out if it was true. Doe anyone in Dubai ( or elsewhere) know if they are now available again ?
    These boxes are unique in that one can record Dream when its not convenient to watch.
    Thanks

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Metabox PVR

Quote Originally Posted by C-BAND
    Yes, they were available at Edvard's shop at the Dubai sat market in July.I saw them myself.
    One Dubai dealer claimed his last box sold out 24 Setember and more were being held at the Duty Free Zone but couldn't wait until the next day to find out if it was true. Doe anyone in Dubai ( or elsewhere) know if they are now available again ?
    These boxes are unique in that one can record Dream when its not convenient to watch.
    Thanks
    I've been visiting these shops in Dubai 2x a week but I have not seen Metabox PVR model. If email address is wrong, why not call the shop when you were in Dubai? Happy Line Co. shop is located inside the 2-storey structure where different shops dealing with different brands of satellite receivers and accessories. This building is just opposite to a paid parking along Naif Road.

archer1260

Default besat metaware mpvr-4000ci

i recently bought the above stb but unfortunately i cant open even one encrypted channel. is there any available software/firmware for this?if yes, can u share with me the link and the procedure including the software use to transfer files from pc to stb?

your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default METABOX PVR

TO ABUHANNAH : THE DUBAI SHOP/ DISTRIBUTOR WHICH HAD THESE BOXES IN QUANTITY IN JULY WAS JOLIAT LOCATED VERY CLOSE TO HAPPY LINE (WHICH I DID NOT SEE ! ). THE MANAGER IS EDVARDS , A UKRAINIAN GENTLEMAN.
    TO ARCHER : I AM AMAZED IF THE FAMOUS METABOX CANNOT DO DREAM AS THIS WAS THE MAIN REASON PEOPLE BOUGHT THIS BOX.
    OF COURSE DREAM IS NOT VIEWABLE IN THE GULF BUT ONE CAN TEST IT ON POLSAT WHICH USES AN IDENTICAL NAGRA ENCRYPTION/DECRYPTION SYSTEM AND IS AVAILABLE ON HOTBIRD. SO IF A BOX WORKS ON POLSAT IN EUROPE IT WILL WORK ON DREAM IN ASIA.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Re: METABOX PVR

TO ARCHER : I AM AMAZED IF THE FAMOUS METABOX CANNOT DO DREAM AS THIS WAS THE MAIN REASON PEOPLE BOUGHT THIS BOX.
    OF COURSE DREAM IS NOT VIEWABLE IN THE GULF BUT ONE CAN TEST IT ON POLSAT WHICH USES AN IDENTICAL NAGRA ENCRYPTION/DECRYPTION SYSTEM AND IS AVAILABLE ON HOTBIRD. SO IF A BOX WORKS ON POLSAT IN EUROPE IT WILL WORK ON DREAM IN ASIA.
    yes, it may work on Polsat, but not necessarily AU dream as they use different rom10 details (you may view your channel using key edit, but too cumbersome to always check the internet for keys) you need AU feature for this, and the software has to be authored by somebody else. verify first that somebody has actually AU dream on it already, otherwise, you will be better off with a metabox3 or even a metabox FTA which has widespread support for dream AU.

or if you want PVR feature at very less price, try pc dvb devices.
    CCcam 2.1.4

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Re: METABOX PVR

TO ABUHANNAH : THE DUBAI SHOP/ DISTRIBUTOR WHICH HAD THESE BOXES IN QUANTITY IN JULY WAS JOLIAT LOCATED VERY CLOSE TO HAPPY LINE (WHICH I DID NOT SEE ! ). THE MANAGER IS EDVARDS , A UKRAINIAN GENTLEMAN.
    Have to talked to Narin at infosat or your pal Watip to see if they have them? Guess you have. The go to carefore and buy a cheap dvd recorder plugs right in the back if the metabox and works well.

Remember the firmware in these units will _not_ be the latest Dream AU firmware as Metaware have not released a version to do AU and the current version will not support any pvr (it does not even do dish move properly any more but great for fixed dish)

There are other options in Asia see http://www.satthai.net/ for their pvr options.

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

DEAR BOKNOY.....I HAVE NOT TESTED THE METABOX ON BOTH CONTINENTS BUT CAN ASSURE YOU THAT THE MEDIACOM EXCEL FROM DUBAI WORKS AU ON BOTH POLSAT IN EUROPE AND DREAM IN ASIA.
    IF NOT THE SAME SOFTWARE THEN IT IS USING TWO SOFTWARES !

FOLLOWING ALL THE RDI'ERS POSTINGS IT WAS SAD TO SEE THAT THE METABOX PVR DOES NOT FULFILL ITS PROMISE AS A NAGRA AU PVR.
    I SUPPOSE IT WAS JUST A DREAM I HAD ( IF YOU EXCUSE THE PUN).
    THE FIRST PVR THAT CAN DO DREAM AU WILL SURELY SELL LIKE HOT CAKES HERE IN ASIA AS DREAM IS A HEAVEN SENT GIFT THOSE IN S.E ASIA WHO CAN LEGALLY WATCH IT AND THAT IS MOST FAR EASTERN COUNTRIES INCLUDING HONG KONG [THAT LEAVES THE END CONSUMER IN HIS HOME IN PEACE.]

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

a cheap PVR for your option (with great software flexibility) would be the pc dvb devices on the market.
    CCcam 2.1.4

Member Mentor

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default PVR(Personal Video Recorders)

PVR are obtainable in Australia in satellite receivers(Manhattam)DVD recorders, n Settop Boxes.
    It is not cheap, say A$400 plus.ex store.
    Thanks for reading my mail.
    JPS-Australia

Junior Member Teacher

Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Metabox PVR

To: C-Band
    I just visited 8:30 PM today Happy Line Co. and Mr. Sajid told me that he has enough stock of Metabox PVR. The problem with his email address is full and he doesn't know how to use computer. It is only his brother who knows computer but is currently outside Dubai for the meantime. The price is Dirhams 1,050 but if you buy in bulk quantities, he would give you discount. Please I'm not promoting his shop but I feel that you really need this model.

I found also Ext. Card Reader (ECR-2004) for FTA Metabox models at Dhs. 80 each. I'm not so familiar these models but would be happy if you could give some comments about their performance on Dream TV AU:
    1. Metabox MSR-5290CI - 2 CAMs's only, no slot for card
    2. Metabox Digital - 1 slot for card only

I will be on a 9-day vacation in the Phils and I will give you feed back about the performance of Metabox Extra with Dream TV.

Senior Member Expert

Posts Thanks / Likes

HOW WONDERFUL .....THAT POSTING ABOVE FROM ABUHANNAH !
    ITS POSTINGS LIKE THE ONE ABOVE WHICH MAKES THE RDI WEBSITE SO FANTASTIC . THIS MAN ACTUALLY VISITED THE SHOP IN DUBAI TO CHECK OUT A MATTER FOR RDI'ERS AND PROVIDE ANSWERS.

MANY THANKS INDEED ABUHANNAH.

HOWEVER CAN YOU OR ANY RDI'ER TELL US WHAT AN
    'EXT. CARD READER (ECR)'
    IS, PLEASE , AS NEVER HEARD OF THIS ITEM.

ALSO CAN YOU OR ANYONE CONFIRM THAT THE METABOX PVR CAN DO DREAM AU......WITH OR WITHOUT THIS SO CALLED 'ECR.'

AT THE MOMENT THERE ARE MANY PVR'S ON THE MARKET AND MANY BOXES WITH AU DREAM .....BUT AS YET HAVE NOT FOUND ONE THAT DOES BOTH FUNCTIONS IN THE ONE BOX.
    THANK YOU

Junior Member Teacher
    Posts Thanks / Likes

Default Re: Metabox PVR

Quote Originally Posted by abuhannah
    To: C-Band
    I just visited 8:30 PM today Happy Line Co. and Mr. Sajid told me that he has enough stock of Metabox PVR. The problem with his email address is full and he doesn't know how to use computer. It is only his brother who knows computer but is currently outside Dubai for the meantime. The price is Dirhams 1,050 but if you buy in bulk quantities, he would give you discount. Please I'm not promoting his shop but I feel that you really need this model.

I found also Ext. Card Reader (ECR-2004) for FTA Metabox models at Dhs. 80 each. I'm not so familiar these models but would be happy if you could give some comments about their performance on Dream TV AU:
    1. Metabox MSR-5290CI - 2 CAMs's only, no slot for card
    2. Metabox Digital - 1 slot for card only

abu,

can you visit Astrovox shops also in deira, dubai and look for MR. Hoded becuase our micro-x MDR-4500 FTA model stop auto update in dream tv.
    only if you have time before your vacation and we really appreciate that just like what you did to C-Band.

thanks and regards...

I will be on a 9-day vacation in the Phils and I will give you feed back about the performance of Metabox Extra with Dream TV.

Platinum member Expert
    Posts Thanks / Likes

AT THE MOMENT THERE ARE MANY PVR'S ON THE MARKET AND MANY BOXES WITH AU DREAM .....BUT AS YET HAVE NOT FOUND ONE THAT DOES BOTH FUNCTIONS IN THE ONE BOX
    try dreambox. it has PVR and CAN autoupdate dream.
    CCcam 2.1.4

Thread Information